Buying a number plate for your favourite car is not a big deal. But when you think about buying something different from the conventional one, it becomes difficult for you to decide because of the legal hassle it might involve. Nowadays, the style of 3D Number Plate and 4D number plates is on the rise. There is no denying the fact that these number plates add elegance to your vehicle.
We all comply with government rules and regulations. So, worrying for the legal issue, that might associate with 3D or 4D number plate, is quite natural. Before installing a 3D number plate, the first question that comes to every consumer’s mind is, are they legal? Let’s look at the facts:
The DVLA has strict guidelines on how number plates should be used and displayed.According to Road Vehicles Regulations 2001–2006,
- No reflective material should be used in any part of number plates or registration plates.
- A registration plate, in any vehicle, must not be treated in a way in which the characters are indistinguishable or which prevents taking a photographic image through a camera or any other device.
- The font of the characters must be in the prescribed form or in a style that is quite similar to the prescribed font.
- The 3D effect of the 3D number plates never obscures the letters.
- The high-quality 3D number plates also prevent reflection. So, the 3D number plates have no legal hassles from this perspective.
- The font of the 3D number plates is always selected by maintaining the rules and regulations of the DVLA. That means it follows the prescribed form. We, at Number Plate Clinics, never use the italic script, multiple strokes, or broken strokes, which are illegal.
To sum up, we can say that 3D number plates are completely legal since this type of plate does not practise any kind of illegal activity. So, if you are thinking about buying a 3D licence plate, go ahead.
Are 3D number plates legal?
Despite some unfounded fears that changes to DVLA number plate regulations would effectively lead to the outlawing of 3D and 4D number plates, 3D number plates remain legal on UK roads.
What has happened is that 2D plates that have used an unusual font or effect to give the impression of being 3D are now effectively banned. However, genuine 3D and 4D licence plates with actual raised lettering are still legal.
When you’re looking for a 3D or 4D licence plate, make sure you order it from a reputable supplier, and be sure you’re ordering a plate with genuinely raised lettering. The DVLA guidance also states that characters must not be removable or reflective. If your plates were fitted after September 1, 2022, they must also be a single shade of black.
Your Rundown of 3D and 4D Plate Requirements!
● The number plate’s material MUST be reflective
● There MUST be NO background pattern
● Front number plate letters MUST be black on white
● The rear number plate letters MUST be black on yellow
● Number plate characters MUST be of a specific size and height:
● All the number plate characters MUST be 79mm tall
● All number plate characters MUST be 55mm wide, except for the number 1 or letter I
● The strokes on these black characters MUST be 14mm thick
● Spaces between number plate characters MUST be 11mm.
● There are other rules regarding character spacing and margins, which you can find in the DVLA’s INF104 leaflet.
Facing difficulties in choosing the best quality 3D number plates?
Count on us today!
Number Plate Clinic is one of the UK’s leading suppliers and makers of customised number plates in 3D and 4D styles. With rapid delivery, click here to design your own number plate with our easy plate builder.
Design your new 4D license plate from Number Plate Clinic. We can talk you through our options and give advice on what might work best for you. Can call us on 0777 444 55 16 or email:- firstname.lastname@example.org
Check Out our YouTube – https://youtu.be/O6zTJrHsrf4