The Complete Guide to Buying Motorbike Number Plates in 2023-2024
Buying a personalised or private number plate for your motorbike is a great way to customise your ride and make it stand out. However, there are some important things to consider when choosing and buying motorbike number plates in the UK. This guide will cover everything you need to know.
Types of Motorbike Number Plates
– Standard plates – The default plates issued by the DVLA when registering a new motorbike. These contain an age identifier and random letters.
– Personalized plates – Custom plates that allow you to choose your own combination of letters and numbers to spell a name, word, or phrase. Popular styles include:
– Dateless plates – No age identifier, so can go on any age bike
– Prefix plates – 1 letter, 1-3 numbers, 3 letters (A123 ABC)
– Current plates – 2 letters, 2 numbers, 3 letters (AA22 ABC)
– Novelty plates – Fun designs in shapes like flames, sport bike silhouettes, etc. These are legal if they meet size/spacing rules.
Legal Requirements for Motorbike Plates
– Rear plate mandatory, front plate optional if registered before Sept 2001
– Black characters on reflective yellow background
– No background patterns allowed
– BSAU145e certification required as of Sept 2021
– Characters must be 64mm tall and 44mm wide (except 1 and I)
– 10mm character stroke thickness and spacing between letters
– Specific spacing rules between age identifier and random letters/numbers
Sale 50% OFF
– Search for available number plates online through DVLA approved dealers
– Choose personalised plate and confirm it meets legal requirements
– Purchase and obtain Certificate of Entitlement from dealer
– Apply to assign plate to your motorbike through DVLA
– Order approved number plate from a registered supplier
– Fit new number plate to your motorbike front and rear
Personalised Plates for Motorbikes
– Allow you to customise your bike and show your personality
– Can reference names, initials, words, phrases, bike model, interests, etc.
– Popular among motorbike enthusiasts to stand out
– Extra security feature to identify your motorbike
– Can be transferred between motorbikes
– Many options for private and personalised plates for motorbikes
– Must comply with legal requirements for size, spacing, materials
– Simple process to buy and assign to your motorbike
– Adds personality and style to your motorbike
– Customize your ride with a unique number plate!
Need help, support, guidance get in touch with Number Plate Clinic, your local Number Plate Maker
Check Out our YouTube